WS2801 Flat-Pack RGB Pixel displays are digitally-controllable LED lights which can be set to any color, or animated. Each display contains an RGB LED along with a dedicated WS2801 controller chip. We have models that are weatherproof and sealed in clear silicon casing and others that are open-frame. The weatherproof models feature flanges molded in so that you can 'push' them into a 12mm drill holes in materials up to 1.5mm/0.06" thick. This item is our open-frame model.
Four data leads are required for the module, +5V, Ground, Data and Clock. Data is shifted down from one pixel to the next so that you can easily cut the strand or attach more onto the end.
Pixels are digitally controlled, with an internal 8-bit PWM LED driver (24-bit color for 16 million different shades). Pixels must be clocked by a microcontroller, or other control devices. There are many examples around the web available showing simple connections and code for the Arduino as well as other microcontrollers.
Each pixel contains an 8mm diffused (frosted) RGB LED, with a 120 degree beam width. Brightness of the display for each color is approximately Red = 3.3 Lumens/300 mcd, Green = 10 Lumens/1000 mcd, Blue = 2.7 Lumens/300 mcd (mcd calculation based on full 120 degree beam) for a total of approximately 1600mcd and due to the diffused frosting design of the LED light is evenly distributed.
Pixels are sold individually and can be chained end-to-end
A complete datasheet with specifications on the WS2801 driver chip is also available.
- Modules measure 15.1mm wide, 15.1mm deep, and 20mm tall and are designed to fit into a 8mm mounting hole (LED size)
- Pixels utilize WS2801 chip for full 24 bit color
- 5V power, 60mA maximum per pixel (LED on full white) 2-pin SPI-like protocol
- Brightness of the display for each color is approximately Red = 3.3 Lumens/300 mcd, Green = 10 Lumens/1000 mcd, Blue = 2.7 Lumens/300 mcd (mcd calculation based on full 120 degree beam) for a total of approximately 1600mcd and due to the diffused frosting design of the LED light is evenly distributed
- Modules are designed to run on 5v DC. Exceeding the power specification most certainly will damage pixel modules.
- Silkscreened on the bottom of the PCB module is an arrow (►) which indicates the direction of flow for the displays. Your signal input must be placed on the input to the module.
Flat WS2801 Pixel
- Product Code: FLAT-PIXEL-UNINSUL
- Availability: In Stock
- $1.50 USD